The Trades Hall of Glasgow
85 Glassford Street, G1 1UH
1794, Robert Adam, 1837-8, David Hamilton and 1888, James Sellars
The Trades Hall is the ancestral home of the Trades House and the Fourteen Incorporated Trades. The roots of the crafts go back to 1604. Initially they controlled all trade work in the city but now function as a charitable organisation supporting benevolence, education projects and good causes in the city. In 1791 Robert Adam was instructed to build the present Hall which was completed in 1794 by his two brothers following his death in 1792. It is in the only major Robert Adam work surviving in Glasgow. The Hall was originally built with small pavilions with pyramidical roofs at each end. Despite alterations over the years, the overall appearance of the façade retains Adam’s lines and movement with a neo-classical silhouette.
Video - see below