St Bride's Episcopal Church
69 Hyndland Road G12 9UX
1899-1915, GF Bodley, HO Tarbolton
Come visit us and explore our building, influenced by English Gothic Revivalism! There will be music (organ, piano, vocal) throughout the day.
St Bride’s is in the United Diocese of Glasgow and Galloway, part of the Scottish Episcopal Church which traces its history back to the beginnings of Christianity in Scotland. The Scottish Episcopal Church is a Province in full communion with the world-wide Anglican Communion.
In 1891 the Diocese determined to provide a church to serve the newly affluent Kelvinside area; and a small wooden chapel was brought from the grounds of Douglas Castle in Lanarkshire. This church, sited in Beaconsfield Road, was dedicated to St Bride of Kildare, patron saint of the Douglas family. In 1899 the old church was moved to the present site. GF Bodley, the leading architect of English Gothic Revivalism and designer of the Washington National Cathedral, USA, was commissioned to design the new church. Work began on the chancel in 1903 and the nave in 1906. The church was dedicated in 1907 but completion of the work took nearly another decade. The architect HO Tarbolton completed the design. The church was finally consecrated in 1915. (The proposed south aisle was never built).
The design of the church gives it a wonderful acoustic. Our Sunday Eucharist is a full choral service (we have four choral scholars) accompanied by the organ (Hill and Son,1865: fully restored in 2018). Our acoustic makes us an increasingly popular venue for concerts and recitals (and in 2018 a BBC Radio Four Morning Service was broadcast live from St Bride’s). Saturday 21st September is the Feast of St Matthew. The music throughout the day will celebrate the Saint and so too demonstrate the church’s acoustic.
We are very much a house of prayer. As you wander around and look at the stained-glass windows and the carvings on our pulpit and choir stalls, feel free also to pause and quietly offer a prayer.
Booking not required
Accessibility: Limited Access, the North Porch entrance is a double door entrance and has both a ramp for wheelchair access into the porch area and a chair stairlift to give access into the church itself.
Facilities: Seating, Toilet, Wheelchair Accessible Toilet, Hearing Loop, Information available in large-print