The Greek Thomson Sixty Steps
Queen Margaret Road, G20 6DP
1872, Alexander “Greek” Thomson (Cat B)
At the site of the original Queen Margaret Bridge, known locally as Walker’s Bridge, stands Alexander ‘Greek’ Thomson’s only civic structure, an immense retaining wall with a fine sweeping staircase which was originally lit by ornate cast-iron lamps from the Saracen Foundry in Possilpark. This is the B listed ‘Greek’ Thomson Sixty Steps.
Atop the wall is the small restored pleasure ground and the repaired pillared outlook point, known as the Belle Vue, which affords pleasant views down to the River Kelvin valley. ‘Walker’s Bridge’ refers to John Ewing Walker who had the bridge built in 1870 to access the still wooded and rural north bank. Walker planned to transform the steeply sloping site into an attractive elevated area for new residences. He did this in spectacular fashion by engaging Alexander ‘Greek’ Thomson, Glasgow’s top architect of the day, to design the retaining wall and steps for beauty as well as function.
Audio Trail - Available on the Guidigo App
CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION ON GUIDIGO
CLICK HERE FOR WEB VERSION
Image Gallery - see below
Video - see below