23 Robert Street, G51 3HB
2000, 2007 Bell Buildings
Venture behind the scenes of a working candle factory in Govan. Witness the different mesmerising production techniques perfected over 120 years by the UK’s oldest candle manufacturer as we manipulate masses of molten wax!
Learn about our company’s long-standing history and our relationship with Glasgow. Get an insight into how candle making and the machinery we use has evolved over the years with this guided tour of our working factory in Govan. We will walk you through the life-span of a candle, from drawing board, to wax, wick, colour, scent, testing and through to first flame. Our founders Mr Shearer and Mr Harvey initially worked in the Candleriggs area (one of Glasgow’s oldest streets and its historic home of candle making) before opening their own factory on the city outskirts over 120 years ago, in 1897. Today, our founders would be astonished to see our factory full of cutting-edge candle making technology, and to know that Shearer Candles are popular the world over. Whilst much has changed, Shearer Candles are still recognised for our artisanal approach, attention to detail and craftsmanship.
PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE FOLLOWING BEFORE YOUR VISIT:
- Hair nets and beard covers for long facial hair must be worn at all times in the production and warehouse areas; these will be provided on arrival.
- Only BLUE plasters are permitted in production and warehouse areas. We will ask you to replace any other plasters on arrival. Loss of plasters must be reported to management.
- No food or drink is permitted in production or warehouse areas.
- No jewellery must be worn in the production and warehouse areas with the only exception being a plain wedding band. If you arrive wearing jewellery, you will be asked to remove this for the duration of the tour.
- No nail varnish, false nails or false eyelashes are permitted in the production or warehouse areas. Visitors with nail varnish or false nails will be provided with latex gloves for the duration of the tour.
Tours: Mon – Fri 10am, 12pm & 2pm (Please arrive 15 minutes before your tour starts so we can prepare you for the factory); 60 mins
Booking essential - firstname.lastname@example.org OR 0141 445 1014
Meeting point: The Candle Store
Accessibility: Not Accessible - The majority of our tour takes place in a working factory environment; therefore it is not suitable for those with physical access requirements or children under 12 years old. Children between 12 and 16 years old must be accompanied by an adult. We do not have anywhere secure to store pushchairs, accessibility scooters or wheelchairs.
Facilities: Seating, Toilet
Parking: Limited free parking is available on site