Royal Faculty of Procurators in Glasgow
12 Nelson Mandela Place, G2 1BT
1857, Charles Wilson
Italianate, “palazzo” style building designed by Charles Wilson. Finely sculpted masks of legal figures forming keystones to the window arches outside and richly decorated interior. Members’ law library on upper floor.
The Faculty of Procurators (or lawyers) in Glasgow has been in existence since before 1668. The building, into which the Faculty and its library moved in 1857, is a two-storeyed building with three façades designed by the architect Charles Wilson (1810-1863) in the style of a Venetian Palazzo. Wilson is also responsible for some of Glasgow’s finest Italianate buildings. The keystones to the arches, depicting the faces of eminent lawyers, were modelled by Alexander Handyside Ritchie and carved by James Shanks. There are a number of different rooms within the building - the Faculty Hall has been used for a variety of purposes over the years, including auctions and Royal Faculty lunches. The Small Library with its “bicentenary window” was commissioned from John K. Clark for the Royal Faculty’s bicentenary in 1996 and mortification boards around the balcony commemorate bequests to the Royal Faculty’s charitable funds. The Main Library was described in the Glasgow Herald of 12 June 1857 as "one of the most exquisite halls in the West of Scotland". Nine busts of former members of the Faculty and other notables add character to the library. The building houses an extremely important collection of legal texts and is still used as a working space by solicitors and advocates, consequently it is usually only open to members.
Booking not required
Access: Limited accessibility as some parts of building accessed only by stairs. Parts of the building not open will be clearly signposted.
Facilities: Seating, Refreshments.