Heart of Scotstoun Community Centre
64 Balmoral Street, Glasgow, G14 0B
A new sunrise for an old site! Last century Balmoral Street linked the historic Albion Motors site to workers’ homes; now Heart of Scotstoun supports community connections by offering meeting space to residents.
During two world wars and into the late twentieth century Albion Motors – with its slogan ‘sure as the sunrise’ – was a significant employer of generations of local people, producing and developing engines and vehicles near the River Clyde at Scotstoun. The area between Earl Street and South Street was busy with employees walking and cycling to and from work. When Scotstoun’s Albion Motors building was demolished in 1988 Balmoral Street became an empty and grey post-industrial link route for traffic movement between Dumbarton Road and South Street business sites. However, in 2011 a long-held community dream was realised and Heart of Scotstoun opened its doors to welcome Scotstoun folk to a place where we could meet, learn from and socialise with each other. The large area of derelict space was transformed into a community hub with an attractive multi-purpose building and a beautiful garden. Now people and plants grow and flourish at Balmoral Street. We are proud of the transformation that has been achieved in less than a decade and invite you to come to visit us. Browse our archive exhibition of photographs of Albion Motors and speak to people who worked there! Take a virtual tour of Scotstoun circa 1918! Wander round the photographs that tell the story of the journey from then to now! Enjoy drinks and snacks in the Cherry Tree Café!
Booking not required
Accessibility: Fully accessible - No steps in building; wheelchair accessible front door with push button; all rooms ground floor; garden wheelchair accessible and wheelchair available on site.
Facilities: Seating, toilet, wheelchair accessible toilet, refreshments, hearing loop.
Parking: Building carpark off road with 2 designated blue badge spaces.