Glasgow Evangelical Church
18/20 Cathedral Square, G4 0XA
1887, John Honeyman (Cat A)
Come and see the restored exterior and beautiful interior, entrance and sanctuary, of this Category A building. Admire the original stained-glass and Grade 1 historic pipe organ as well as award-winning modern stained-glass windows made by members.Come and help us celebrate 40 years in this beautiful building. We will have a floral display to celebrate. Visitors can also come and hear about the restoration work that was carried out to the Building and Sanctuary funded by Grants from Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Scotland and our own fundraising, all with the assistance of Glasgow Building Preservation Trust. We have also recently put in new Pew Cushions, some of which are donated by Members and Friends of the Church. The Restoration Work was finally completed in December 2017.
John Honeyman (1831-1914) was an Architect of high renown and from 1888 his partner was John Keppie and from 1889 he had Charles Rennie Mackintosh as an Assistant. The skyline is dominated with Statues of St. Matthew, St. Mark, St. Luke and St. John and at their feet lie, respectively, the heads of a man, a lion, a calf and an eagle. Above the doors are St. Peter and St. Paul. Within there is a magnificent Pipe Organ installed in 1887, so impressive that visitors from far afield come to see it. The Institute of Historic Pipe Organs has granted a Grade 1 Certificate and this, along with the original drawings, will be on display. The Organ is regularly maintained and is believed to be one of only a few of its kind in Scotland.
Come see our eight award winning Stained Glass Windows created by some of our Members and installed from 1999 to 2001. We are proud of this place of Worship in what is the true centre of the City. It is perhaps fitting that the Church is “watched over" by John Knox the father of the Scottish Reformation, from his prominent place in the Glasgow Necropolis.
Fri 12pm - 4pm, Sat 10am - 4pm
Tours available on request
Booking not required
Accessibility: Limited - there are two steps from the pavement to the Church door but after that we have a Chairlift to the Sanctuary
Facilities: Toilet, Refreshments, Information available in large-print
Parking: On street metered parking available