81 Hyndland Road, G12 9JE
1887, William Leiper *
Be uplifted and inspired by the beauty and peace of this majestic Leiper building. View the exquisite windows, listen to fine organ music, and hear about the lives behind some of the names on the World War 1 Memorial.
Hyndland Church was created in the wake of the gradual move westwards by successful Glaswegians in the late nineteenth century. Originally a 'daughter' church of Govan the congregation was first housed in a corrugated iron building which had previously stood in Byres Road and had belonged to the then Hillhead Parish Church (now Kelvinside Hillhead Church). The little 'tin' church stood directly opposite the site of the present church on Hyndland Road and was replaced in 1887 by Leiper's elegant and inspirational building. He moved away from the preaching church layout he had previously favoured to create a more typically mediaeval layout. The stone carvings, light fittings and Willis organ conspire to produce a building whose calm loveliness inspires all who enter. Of particular note are the fine stained glass windows which exemplify changes in idiom from Victorian style to late twentieth century including the artists Macdougall, Paterson, Strachan, Hamilton, Wilson, Gordon Webster, Shaw and MacInnes assisted by Cannon. Visitors will be left grateful for the efforts and artistry which created this fine place in the past. The building has however always been filled with people living out their faith in the world and looking to the future. With the merger of Hyndland and Broomhill Churches it is now named the Kingsborough Sanctuary. Exciting developments lie ahead. Please visit us and find out about the expanding role of this very fine place of worship.
Booking not required
Limited parking close to venue.
Accessibility: Accessible entrance for wheelchair users. Steps to chancel but otherwise accessible.
* Please note that a mistake was made in the printed brochures that incorrectly credited assistance by Thomas Gilchrist Gilmore.
A 'Building Quiz' will be available for children aged 7 - 12.
Glasgow Building Preservation Trust
Wellpark Enterprise Centre
120 Sydney Street, Glasgow
Registered Company Number: SC079721
Scottish Charity Number: SC015443