45 Chamberlain Road, Jordanhill, G13 1SP
1915, Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh (Cat B)
First time in Doors Open Day! Jordanhill School is a high performing, grant-aided, community comprehensive school. Are you a former pupil? Reminisce on a tour. Never visited? Come and find out more. Don’t miss the ‘Harry Potter’ stairs, and impressive facilities.
Jordanhill School is a high performing, grant-aided, community comprehensive school. As we are approaching centenary year, come and visit our original main building, see our more recent new facilities in our South Campus.
Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh's design won the competition for the Jordanhill Demonstration School for 800 pupils, in 1912-13. Their three-storey, symmetrical, Edwardian classical design, with classrooms arranged largely on the S. side of a single, long corridor, was probably made by Andrew Graham Henderson, and was published in the Builder in July 1913, alongside H. & D. Barclay's successful design for the Training College.
Construction started in 1915, interrupted by WW1, and the school opened in 1920. There have been additions and alterations with PE and refectory block being added in 1950’s onwards. Our reception was refurbished in 2013 along with our Main Hall. The Bell Tower was restored to its original colour and glory in 2016.
Most significantly a new teaching block, atrium and landscaped plaza was formed and opened in 2008, known as our South Campus (Elder & Cannon.) This was a RIAS Best Building in Scotland finalist in 2008. It accommodates, maths, art, history, geography, languages and our SWIRE Chinese Language centre.
The school has been used as a filming location for Trainspotting, the film of the 1993 Irvine Welsh novel, and has also been used for the filming of BBC dramas, Shetland and Single Father.
Tours available on request; Sat 10am-3pm; 30 minutes
Tour meeting point: Main hall
Booking not required
On street parking available free of charge
Accessibility: Ramped access to rear of main building (3 steps to main front reception)
Enjoy a treasure hunt, colouring in and quizzes!
Glasgow Building Preservation Trust
Wellpark Enterprise Centre
120 Sydney Street, Glasgow
Registered Company Number: SC079721
Scottish Charity Number: SC015443