2025 Pollokshaws Road - off Christian Street G43 1NE
1897/98 Sir Robert Rowand Anderson (Cat A)
Built in the Scottish Renaissance style and gifted to the burgh in 1898, Pollokshaws Burgh Hall has been serving the community ever since. Known for its crow-stepped gables, remarkable clock tower and many original features it also houses the last concert-standard Wurlitzer wind organ left in Scotland.
Sir John Maxwell Stirling-Maxwell, 10th Baronet of Pollok (1866-1956) commissioned Sir Robert Rowand Anderson (1834-1921) to design a Public Hall for the Pollokshaws Community. Sir Rowand created the building in the Scottish Renaissance style. He incorporated as many details from the old Glasgow College buildings as he could because the College site had been sold to Glasgow Union Railway (1863) to develop a large covered goods yard on the corner of High St/Duke St near the City centre.
Income enabled the College to develop the Gilmore Hill greenfield site as Glasgow University.
Outstanding architectural features recorded in the "Public Hall" include the "replica" clock tower accessed by three sections of iron spiral staircase, crow-stepped gables, decorative stone details around the doors and windows.
Sir John was an active Freemason and arranged for a masonic motif above the north entrance.
He donated the completed building to Pollokshaws Burgh in 1898 with a proviso that it be used by the public and community in perpetuity.
Mon-Sat 10am-5pm. Tours 10am; 45 minute
Christian Street cul-de-sac: Free on-street car parking
Accessibility: Access Ramp to North Door: access to ground floor, toilets, Halls, Mtg rooms.
Tour round building: Maximum number, 12, Tower access requires appropriate footwear.
Pollokshaws Burgh Hall Trust was created in 2000 following closure of the Hall by Glasgow City Council as a cost saving. The Wurlitzer, the last concert-standard wind organ left in Scotland, was rescued from a flooded Clydebank Town Hall in 2007 by the Scottish Cinema Organ Trust and rebuilt in Pollokshaws Burgh Hall.
PBHT has recently commissioned an Options Appraisal, the first essential step to secure restoration of the Hall incorporating, modern office space for Home Start and at the request of Glasgow Life and Education Services a new Library and Childrens' Nursery. The Appraisal is to be completed in June 2018. The project is being led by a Task Force including Pollokshaws Area Network representatives. The brief is being reviewed through community consultation as part of the process to ensure that the form of the New Pollokshaws Village Hub reflects community needs and aspirations.
Glasgow Building Preservation Trust
Wellpark Enterprise Centre
120 Sydney Street, Glasgow
Registered Company Number: SC079721
Scottish Charity Number: SC015443