300 Great Western Road, G4 9JB
1871, Sir George Gilbert Scott (Cat A)
The Cathedral of St Mary's is a familiar landmark on the busy thoroughfare of Great Western Road. The 200-foot tall bell tower and spire of this Gothic Revival building is a stunning example of architect Sir George Gilbert Scott's work.
Following a period of turbulence and uncertainty for Episcopalians dating back to the 17th century, 1825 saw the opening of St Mary's Chapel in Renfield Street to accommodate a growing population. Later in the century, Sir George Gilbert Scott was commissioned to build a new church on Great Western Road for the congregation of St Mary's, and the result is open of the city's best Gothic Revival buildings, constructed by the finest craftsmen available and opened in 1871. The stain glass, part of an integrated sequence within the church, was designed by the studios of Hardman, Ward & Hughs and Clayton & Bell. St Mary's was consecrated in 1884, with the spire being added nine years later to the original tower. In 1908, in recognition of the church's growing influence and status, St Mary's became the Cathedral Church of the Scottish Episcopal Diocese of Glasgow and Galloway. After the Great War, refitting of the chancel was undertaken by the distinguished architect Sir William Lorimer. By the 1980's, St Mary's was in need of major refurbishment. Essential roof repairs were carried out in 1985, with restoration, repair and internal improvements taking place between 1989 and 1996. Externally the roof has been re-slated and the tower and spire repaired. Internally, the organ has been rebuilt, the font moved from the west door to the south transept, and the east end and crossing decorated with murals painted by Gwyneth Leech. Interior restoration has included the introduction of an alter and choir stalls in the nave, and a new porch completed in 2002 at the west end.
Church Services 10.30 - 11.30: Open to everyone
Tours available on request
Parking info: On street parking available - charges apply. Free parking on Sundays. Blue Badge parking in Cathedral grounds.
Accessibility: Only Bell Tower inaccessible (60 narrow winding staircase)
A few foreign language speakers on duty. Foreign language information leaflets available for use.
Glasgow Building Preservation Trust
Wellpark Enterprise Centre
120 Sydney Street, Glasgow
Registered Company Number: SC079721
Scottish Charity Number: SC015443